Sea Turtle Restoration Project is calling for:
Improved Oil Spill Response:
• Independent observers on all oil spill response vessels to record wildlife sightings;
• Sea turtle rescuers on all cleanup vessel teams;
• Establishment of a volunteer protocol for wildlife rescue assistance;
• Maintaining of an effective level of search effort for sea turtles and wildlife;
• Endangered species prioritized for rescue and rehabilitation;
• Chemical dispersants and “controlled burns” banned where endangered species are present.
Improved Oil Spill Restoration:
• Funds set aside specifically for restoration of sea turtle nesting beaches and nearshore habitat;
• Full cleanup of nesting beaches, oil free to a depth of 30 inches.
Improved Sea Turtle Protection from Oil and Gas:
• Avoidance of sea turtle breeding, foraging and migration habitat for any new or renewed oil drilling platforms;
• Establishment of protected swimways through the Gulf of Mexico where new oil and gas development is prohibited and existing operations phased out.
Check out the article and sign the petition: